This post may contain affiliate links. Disclosure here.
Anyone else craving a KFC crispy chicken takeaway?
Today I’m sharing a great homemade recipe that will satisfy your craving and, as a bonus, it’s slightly healthier than the KFC version.
Since we are spending a lot more time at home these days, I know at least in our family – we’ve been craving quite a few takeaway dishes that are not really available at the moment.
So I thought I would try and recreate a few takeaway meals (or fakeaway, as they are called nowadays).
Here is a quick video of the steps to create it. Scroll a bit further for the full list of ingredients.
For this recipe I used chicken breast, but you can obviously use this crispy coating on chicken wings or thighs if you want to recreate those.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can also control how spicy they will be. I added mild chili powder to mine, but you can entirely skip it if you don’t want them to be spicy at all. Or you can add more chili if you want more of a kick. It’s totally up to you.
Should you cook these in the oven or fry them?
I actually tested both ways (cook in the oven and fry in a pan), because I wanted to see if we could tell a difference. We couldn’t. They tasted basically the same. I even asked my husband and he thought the same.
I would highly recommend cooking them in the oven, since it is healthier than pan frying. They will still be crispy and delicious.
- 500g chicken breast, cut into strips
- 200g plain flour
- 200g cornflakes
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2-3 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- In one bowl, add the flour and the spices (paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper). Mix it all together with a spoon.
- In a second bowl, add the eggs and a splash of milk. Whisk thoroughly.
- In a third bowl, add the cornflakes and crush them into small bits using your hands. Add the breadcrumbs and mix together.
- Create your assembly line. Take one chicken strip, put it through the flour bowl, then the egg bowl and then the cornflakes bowl.
- Once nicely coated, add each chicken strip into an oven pan with olive oil.
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius, turning once midway.
Serve the chicken strips with fries and your preferred dipping sauce.
If you try the recipe, I would love to know what you thought of it. More recipes here.
I also have a few other fakeaway recipes in this video and I also explain all the steps in more detail: