This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I make a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Disclosure here.
If you are preparing to welcome a new baby into your family, you will need this newborn shopping list, along with these 55 best baby registry must haves for 2021.
As a first time mom, I felt so overwhelmed when I first started looking at all the things you needed for a newborn and all the options that are on the market nowadays. I started reading tons of reviews on things and, to be honest, most of the time I felt even more overwhelmed afterwards.
So after reading reviews and shopping lists other people wrote, I decided to make my own with just the things I thought I would need.
Of course, everyone has different opinions on the must haves for a newborn, everyone’s living situation is different.
Lots of things depend on that – whether you need a co-sleeper or a normal crib, whether you’re gonna make a full-on nursery or just rearrange a part of your bedroom.
For example, we’re gonna have a separate nursery all set up (with a crib and everything), but for the first few months we plan on the baby sleeping in the same room with us, as I think it will make breastfeeding in the middle of the night easier.
So we’re also getting a co-sleeper cot for our bedroom.
I know it’s not completely necessary and you can actually co-sleep with your baby in your own bed, but I just don’t feel comfortable doing that. I don’t think I could relax knowing we could roll over or pull the sheets over him.
I guess it’s a matter of personal preference.
All in all, I am quite pleased with my list, even though I am expecting to have some things I might not use as much or things that I will still need to buy, but probably only realize it after actually having a baby.
I hope this list gives you some ideas on what you might need for your baby. And if you think I’ve missed something crucial, definitely let me know in the comments! I would love to know your opinion!
BABY’S ROOM / NURSERY
1. Wardrobe (+small hangers and baskets for organizing everything)
3. Changing mat (to put on top of the dresser)
5. Mattress for crib
6. Sheets (about 3-4) & mattress protection sheet
7. Co-sleeper cot (ours came with a mattress included)
8. Curtains for windows (to make the room dark for naps)
9. Blankets (2-3)
10. Play mat
11. Swing (we actually got a hand-me down from my brother in law and it worked so well)
12. Stroller (get one that has a car seat included, I recommend going for a practical foldable one)
13. Car seat (ours came with the stroller)
14. Mirror for the car (so you can see the baby when the car seat is rear facing)
I don’t have exact numbers for these, but I did get various sizes – 0-1 months, 0-3 months, 3-6 months etc.
We also got a lot of clothes from others, thankfully, so I didn’t have to buy that many.
Depending on when the baby is born, you may or may not need all of these. Our boy was born in October, so we needed items for chilly weather.
20. Fluffy/cosy onesie with a hood (got a bear one from H&M, really adorable and perfect for keeping them warm outside)
22. Sleeping bags
24. A thicker coat
28. Wet wipes (I got the Water Wipes for now)
29. Diaper rash cream (I use Bepanthen the most)
30. Thin waterproof changing mat (for taking inside your bag for changing when you’re not at home)
31. Shampoo/shower gel (I use a 2 in 1 kind of product)
32. Baby lotion
33. Cotton pads
34. Cottons swabs for babies
35. Towels with hoodie (I got 2)
36. Wash cloths (I will probably get 5-6, so that I have some to spare while I get the laundry done)
38. Baby care kit (I got one from Tommee Tippee that contains lots of things you might need: nail files, nail clippers, scissors, thermometer, hair brush etc.)
40. Baby bath tub. We got a small plastic one with an insert so the baby doesn’t slip inside the tub, and a stand for it so you don’t have to be bending while bathing the baby. However, looking back, I would go for a very simple small one. The one we had was quite bulky.
41. Scale (not sure if it’s completely necessary, but a lot of friends told me it can be quite useful)
BREASTFEEDING OR BOTTLE FEEDING
44. Nursing bras
45. Breast pads
46. Lanolin cream
47. Nipple shields
48. Nursing pillow
49. Electric breast pump (I recommend either Spectra or Medela)
51. Bottles (I got a starter set from Tommee Tippee)
53. Formula for emergencies
55. Pacifiers (I’m not sure if I’ll end up using them, but I got a few to test out)
Hope you found these baby registry must haves useful!